When I was 12 years old,
当我12岁时
my father was the Governor of Virginia.
我父亲是弗吉尼亚州长
And none of us knew it at that time,
当时没人知道在那段时间
but our world was about to explode
我们的社会正要爆发
over the issue of slavery in America.
结束美国奴隶制的争端
My father's heart had long since changed on the topic,
我父亲内心早已有了改革的想法
and one night, he took me to a place
一天晚上 他带我去一个地方
that would forever change my own.
那一次永远改变了我自己
Reading the Englishman again?
又在读英国人写的书?
Will I be shot for treason,Father?
我会因叛国罪枪毙吗? 父亲
Another one of those long titles, is it?
又一本冗长的书 是吗?
"The Personal History,Adventures, Experience,
作者的亲身经历 异乎寻常的经历 体验
"Observation of David Copperfield,
写了大卫·科波菲尔(狄更斯小说中的人物)
the Younger of Blunderstone Rookery..."
这个年轻人在布兰德斯通贫民窟...
Guess that's why it's here.
我想这就是为什么它在这儿
Get your coat, John.
把你的外套穿上 约翰
We're going to take a little ride.
我们要出去一趟
I don't think I like these surprise trips anymore, father.
我不喜欢这些意外的活动 父亲
Cause they're usually lessons in life?
因为他们通常会给你上人生课程?
Well, tell me about the play
好吧 对我说一下那场演出
your mother took you to in Philadelphia.
你妈妈带你去费城看的
You mean "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
你是说“汤姆叔叔的小屋”?
And why have we not talked about it?
我们为什么不谈论它呢?
Because we'll disagree,
因为我们意见不一致
and disagreeing with you is so disagreeable.
并且与你意见不同是如此的讨厌
Your mother said you were not impressed by it.
你妈妈说你没有被它打动
Think it's all made up
觉得这都是虚构的
by the people who don't like us.
由于那些人不喜欢我们
there's lots of those in Philadelphia.
在费城有很多这样的人
All right, ladies and gentlemen!
好了 女士们 先生们
We are about to get started!
我们就要开始了
Step on up! Step on up!
上来 上来
You're gonna love what we have in store tonight!
今晚你们会喜欢我们的现货
I'm holding at 275...
我准备着275个...
Doubtless those people in Philadelphia
毫无疑问 这些人在费城
John, I have never known you to need help
约翰 我从来不知道你需要帮助
making up your own mind.
你自己决定
...for tonight's bidding.
...为了今晚的招标
These slaves are trained
这些奴隶已进行了培训
by some of our most respected citizens
蒙我们一些最受尊敬的公民许可
in the central Virginia area.
进入弗吉尼亚州中心
Step on up, ladies and gentlemen!
上来 女士们 先生们
Sale's about to begin!
要开始出售了
A fine lot of slaves belonging to the estate
一批健康的奴隶
of the late Colonel William Jasper of Amelia,
属于已故上校威廉•贾斯珀的阿梅利亚庄园
sold in no fault, but to sell the estate!
销售无可挑剔 出售的绝对是庄园
We got all kinds.
我们有各种各样的
Old ones, young ones,
老的 年轻的
men and women, gals and boys!
男的 女的 女孩和男孩
And as some of you may or may not know,
还有一些你们可能还不知道的
Colonel Jasper's plantation slaves
上校贾斯帕的农场奴隶
made him a pretty penny for the last 20 years!
在过去的20年里为他挣了一大笔钱
Gentlemen, what we have to offer here is so damn good,
先生们 我们在这里提供的货是如此的优质
old Mr. Lumpkin even up and married one of 'em!
老先生伦普金甚至和他们其中一个结婚了
You won't find the mark of a whip on a one of 'em!
你不会在他们中的任何一个找到鞭子的伤痕
We're not talking some low-class
我介绍的不是一些低等品
Louisiana branding-iron stock!
路易斯安那州钢铁般品牌的现货
We got the best slave stock
我们有最好的奴隶现货
from all of central Virginia here tonight!
今晚在这里 弗吉尼亚州的中心
Colonel Jasper's staff represents the finest stock in the state!
上校贾斯帕的员工意味着全国最好的现货
This is the best group of dining room servants,
这是最好的餐厅仆人
farmhands, cooks, milkers,seamstresses, washerwomen,
农民 挤奶工 厨师 裁缝 洗衣妇
and the most promising group of sassy young females
而最有前途的是这批时髦的年轻女性
just ready to breed.
正准备繁殖
Martha Ann is the favorite of the household.
玛莎•安是最中意的家用类型
Perfectly healthy, no blemish at all.
非常健康 没有任何瑕疵
Look at that complexion.
看那面色
I offer Martha Ann at a reduced price,
我想给玛莎•安降低价格
because it is the wish of all concerned
这是因为所有关切的人
to keep them together. Now,Israel here
想让他们在一起 现在 在这里的伊斯雷尔
is not what you would call an able-bodied man,
并不算是你所说的健全人
having broke his leg in the field,
在牧场摔断了腿
which didn't exactly mend right,
并没有完全康复
but he can do all sorts of light work,
但他可以做各种轻便的工作
and you can have him and the young'uns mighty cheap!
你可以拥有他和这些年轻人 非常的价廉物美
Masters, if you'll buy me,
主人 如果你买了我
the children and Martha Ann,
孩子们和玛莎•安
God knows I'll work myself to death.
上帝知道 我会工作到死去为止
Come on. No bids at all?
来吧 没人报价吗?
400. Do I hear 450?
400 我听到450了?
Come on, people, 450!
来吧 公民 450
Look at her! He can work!
看看她 他可以工作
This is one of the best slave lots
这是一个最好的奴隶
we're gonna see all night,ladies and gentlemen!
我们晚上会看到所有人 女士们 先生们
400 going twice. Sold!
400 两次 成交
Will you take Israel and the young'uns with her?
你会带上伊斯雷尔和她的那些孩子吗?
No. I'm lucky to be able to afford one as it is.
不 我恰好能够买得起一个
I don't need no more mouths to feed than hers.
除了她 我不需要更多的嘴巴