Why don't you go ahead? Sit down and see if you can get comfy.
好 你直接开始吧? 好 坐下 能否舒适地坐着
-You good? All right. -Yeah.
还好吗?好了 是
Take one, marker.
第一镜 打板
Wanna start by introducing yourself?
要我先从自我介绍开始吗?
Hello, world. Bailey. Take three.
世界你好 贝利 第三镜
-You good? -This is the worst part, man.
-可以了吗? -这是我最讨厌的部分 兄弟
I don't like this.
我不喜欢这样
I worked at Facebook in 2011 and 2012.
我2011年到2012年间在脸书工作
I was one of the really early employees at Instagram.
我是Instagram非常早期的员工
I worked at, Google, YouTube.
我曾任职于谷歌、YouTube
Apple, Google, Twitter, Palm.
苹果、谷歌、推特、Palm
I helped start Mozilla Labs and switched over to the Firefox side.
我帮助创始了Mozilla Labs 后来更多工作于火狐这边
-Are we rolling? Everybody? -
在拍吗?大家…
I worked at Twitter.
我曾在推特工作
was the senior vice president of engineering.
最后一份岗位 是高级副总工程师
-I was the president of Pinterest. -
我曾是Pinterest的总经理
Before that, um, I was the... the director of monetization
在那之前 我在脸书做了五年的
at Facebook for five years.
盈利总监
While at Twitter, I spent a number of years running their developer platform,
在推特期间 我用了几年时间 运营他们的开发者平台
and then I became head of consumer product.
然后我做了消费者产品部长
I was the coinventor of Google Drive, Gmail Chat,
我曾合作发明 谷歌硬盘、谷歌邮箱聊天
Facebook Pages, and the Facebook like button.
脸书网页和脸书“赞”按钮
Yeah. This is... This is why I spent, like, eight months
对 所以我才花了八个月的时间
talking back and forth with lawyers.
和律师反复周旋
This freaks me out.
真的让我很崩溃
When I was there,
我在那里任职的时候
I always felt like, fundamentally, it was a force for good.
一直觉得 总体上 这是积极的力量
I don't know if I feel that way anymore.
我现在不确定 自己是否还这样想了
I left Google in June 2017, due to ethical concerns.
出于对道德伦理的担心 我于2017年6月离开谷歌
And... And not just at Google but within the industry at large.
不仅是担心谷歌的道德伦理 而是对整个产业
I'm very concerned.
我很担心
I'm very concerned.
非常担心
It's easy today to lose sight of the fact
如今 人们很容易忽略一个事实
that these tools actually have created some wonderful things in the world.
这些工具 其实为世界创造了一些美好的东西
They've reunited lost family members. They've found organ donors.
它们让失去联系的家人重聚 找器官捐赠者
I mean, there were meaningful, systemic changes happening
它们为整个世界带来了
around the world because of these platforms
有意义的、系统的变革
that were positive!
这是这些平台积极的一面
I think we were naive about the flip side of that coin.
我认为我们对它的消极一面 过度看轻了
Yeah, these things, you release them, and they take on a life of their own.
对 这些东西 只要你发布 它们自己就会存活
And how they're used is pretty different than how you expected.
它们被使用的方式 与你当初的预期大相径庭
Nobody, I deeply believe, ever intended any of these consequences.
我深信 这些负面的后果 不是任何人刻意为之
There's no one bad guy. No. Absolutely not.
没有任何一个坏人 没有 绝对没有
So, then, what's the... what's the problem?
那么问题在哪里?
Is there a problem, and what is the problem?
是否有问题?问题在哪里?
Yeah, it is hard to give a single, succinct...
是 很难给出一个单一的、简明的…
I'm trying to touch on many different problems.
我在试着谈论很多不同的问题
What is the problem?
问题在哪里?
Despite facing mounting criticism,
虽然面对越来越多的质疑
the so-called Big Tech names are getting bigger.
这些所谓的大型技术公司却越发壮大
The entire tech industry is under a new level of scrutiny.
整个技术产业 正在面临全新维度的审查
And a new study sheds light on the link
一项新的研究初步揭示了心理健康
between mental health and social media use.
与社交媒体使用之间的联系
Here to talk about the latest research...
来谈谈最新的研究…
...is going on that gets no coverage at all.
…的情况 根本没有保险
Tens of millions of Americans are hopelessly addicted
数千万美国人无望地
to their electronic devices.
玩电子设备成瘾
It's exacerbated by the fact
因为技术 现在你真的能
that you can literally isolate yourself now
把自己隔离在一个泡泡内
in a bubble, thanks to our technology.
周围都是与你观点相似的人 瘾性就更加恶化了
Fake news is becoming more advanced
虚假新闻变得更发达了
and threatening societies around the world.
威胁着全世界的社会
We weren't expecting any of this when we created Twitter over 12 years ago.
我们12年多以前创造推特的时候 根本没有想到这些
White House officials say they have no reason to believe
官方说 他们没有理由相信
the Russian cyberattacks will stop.
俄罗斯网络攻击会停止
YouTube is being forced to concentrate on cleansing the site.
YouTube被迫专注于清理网站
TikTok, if you talk to any tween out there...
如果你和十几岁的孩子去聊
...there's no chance they'll delete this thing...
他们是绝对不可能删除抖音的…
Hey, Isla, can you get the table ready, please?
喂 艾拉 可以帮忙摆桌子吗?
There's a question about whether social media
有一个严肃的问题
is making your child depressed.
社交媒体是否让您的孩子抑郁
Isla, can you set the table, please?
艾拉 可以帮忙摆桌子吗?
These cosmetic procedures are becoming so popular with teens,
整容在青少年中已经十分受欢迎
plastic surgeons have coined a new syndrome for it,
整容医生甚至造出了一种新病征
"Snapchat dysmorphia," with young patients wanting surgery
“图片分享畸形征” 指的是年轻的患者想做整容手术
so they can look more like they do in filtered selfies.
让自己看上去 更接近加了滤镜的自拍中的样子
Still don't see why you let her have that thing.
我还是不明白 你为什么让她用那东西
What was I supposed to do?
我能怎么办?
I mean, every other kid in her class had one.
我是说 她们班上的其他孩子全都有
Cass, no one's forcing you to get one.
卡桑 没人强迫你用
You can stay disconnected as long as you want.
你想和别人切断联系多久 都随你
Hey, I'm connected without a cell phone, okay? I'm on the Internet right now.
喂 我没有手机也不会和别人 切断联系 好吗?我现在就在网上
Also, that isn't even actual connection. It's just a load of sh
而且 这根本不是实际的联系 全都是没用的…
Surveillance capitalism has come to shape
监视资本主义已经形成了
our politics and culture in ways many people don't perceive.
我们的政治和文化 而很多人根本没有察觉
ISIS inspired followers online,
伊斯兰国煽动网上的关注者
and now white supremacists are doing the same.
现在 白人至上主义也在这样做
Recently in India,
最近在印度
Internet lynch mobs have killed a dozen people, including these five...
网络暴民害死了十几个人 包括这五个…
It's not just fake news; it's fake news with consequences.
虚假新闻不只是虚假新闻 是有后果的
How do you handle an epidemic in the age of fake news?
在虚假新闻的时代 你要怎么解决传染病?
Can you get the coronavirus by eating Chinese food?
吃中餐会感染新冠病毒吗?
We have gone from the information age into the disinformation age.
我们已经从信息时代 过渡到了虚假信息时代
Our democracy is under assault.
我们的民主受到了攻击
"I think the tools that have been created today are starting
“我认为如今 创造出的工具正在开始
to erode the social fabric of how society works."
侵蚀社会正常运转的社交纽带”