Doc Holiday just got off the stagecoach.
- Want me and the boys to come along? - Why do you ask that?
Well, I certainly wouldn't want to fool around with him alone.
I don't blame ya, but I'm not gonna make any trouble for Doc Holiday.
He's my best friend.
As long as I'm sheriff around here the place is his.
Hi. Where's Doc Holiday?
Hi, Pat. Gosh, I'm glad to see you.
Doc, how are you?
You're looking plenty sassy.
You wintered kind of fat, didn't you?
- What are you doing over this way? - I wanted to have a talk with you.
The other is, have you seen anything of a little strawberry roan?
- Somebody steal your horse? - Yeah.
Cutest little fellow you ever saw.
Mean as mean, but I'd dote on him like he was pure rock candy.
- What are you laughing at? - Joke's on whoever done it.
First time I ever felt sorry for a horse thief.
- Did you hear he was headed this way? - Yeah.
Put that on the table in there. What are you gonna have?
I started with rye. I don't see no cause to change.
- Where you been keeping yourself? - Mostly across the border.
That's what I want to see you about.
I need a little money and I thought you might want to come in with me.
- What's the matter? - I'll let you have the money but if the deal is like that last one of yours, better not tell me about it.
- Where'd you get that thing? - They stuck it on me little while ago.
You're the last man I ever thought would be so easily satisfied.
Man's gotta settle down sometime.
Mike, did you see anything of a strange strawberry roan?
About 13 hands high and as cute as bug's ear.
Seems to me I did see one about that size.
- When I came on duty. - Where?
- Up in front of the dentist place. - Where's that?
I'm only gonna tell you once more.
You put that glass on top of your head.
But what are you gonna do then?
Just put it up on your head. I'll show you.
Best thing in the world for that dandruff of yours.
Wait a minute, Doc.
You're still using that one, huh?
My old standby. Never has failed yet.
How many fingers do you see, Fred?
I guess I better take Fred to the jail and let him sober up there.
You go ahead. The dentist's place is up the street near the corner.
I'll be along in a minute.
Well, Red, how ya feelin'?
- Nice little horse you got here. - I think so.
- Where'd you get him? - Bought him in Santa Fe Springs. Why?
Somebody stole him from me in Sacora.
If it wasn't for those two guns, I'd say you was hiding in pretty young.
- You think it was me? - You haven't told me any different.
My name's Holiday.
- I've heard of you. - Thanks.
I don't want to take advantage of you.
Thanks. I thought it'd be the other way around.
What's your name, son?
Bonny. William Bonny.
- Billy the Kid, huh? - Still think I stole your horse?
- How much did you pay for him? - Wouldn't do any good if I told you.
- Why not? - I like the horse and got used to him.
- So have I. - I don't blame you.
- Just like sitting in a rocking chair. - Now look - Hear you're pretty good. - That's what I hear about you.
All right. You mind standing away from the front of that horse?
Pretty sure of yourself, aren't you?
No sense in going to all this trouble for nothing.
- Yes and no. - It's your horse, ain't it?
You're a cool one.
Better get you over to the hoosegow before this gets around.
Come along. Thanks, Doc, for being so forbearing.
See why I left off? He's just a kid.
I told you to come along. Didn't you hear what I said?
You're not doing any better than I did.
Wait a minute. I'd like to make you acquainted with this young man.
Billy, this is an old friend of mine, Pat Garrett.
Pat, this is Mr. William Bonny.
I've been wanting to meet you for a long time.
How are you, Billy?
How many fingers do you see?
You ought to use that only on friends.
While you two are talking I better put my horse away. Back up, boy.
- Why you - Hold it. Don't fly off the handle.
Nice little horse, ain't he, Doc?
- Remember me? - Where's Mr. Garrett?
I sent him home. How 'bout you and me having a little talk?
I don't believe in talk, unless the other fella holds all the cards.
Sonny, that head of yours sure is screwed on tight.