and obsessed with a field of study he considers tantamount
还不顾他的职业忠告 热衷于
to professional suicide.
毫无前途的专业
Those were the highlights.
那些是最出风头的
- Davio, Dr. Vernon. - Dr. Arroway.
- 达维奥·维尔农博士 你好 - 阿洛维博士
Believe you've already met our tireless research assistant, Mr. Fisher
相信你已见过我们勤奋的助手费希尔先生
as well as his cologne.
还有他的香水
Brook's looking at the black hole in M-87.
布鲁克在M-87寻找黑洞
Eli's studying Markarian 541, a major gamma ray source.
爱莉研究马卡良星系541 强伽马源
Dr. Arroway will be spending her precious telescope time listening for
阿洛维博士将用她的望远镜时间找
a couple billion to go.
还剩几十亿
Arecibo, right?
阿雷西博天文台 对吗?
Mind if I sit down?
- 介意我坐下吗? -请随便
I hear the locals they call it "El Radar."
我听本地人管它叫做"雷达"
Convinced it has some dark military purpose.
都相信是军方的神秘项目
I think we're harmless.
我觉得我们不害人的吧
- Ellie Arroway. - Nice to meet you, Ellie.
-爱莉·阿洛维 -幸会了 爱莉
What are you studying up there?
你 呃 你在研究什么?
Nebulae, quasars, pulsars, stuff like that.
星云 类星体 脉冲星 这一类事情 你在
What are you writing?
你在写什么呢?
The usual Nouns, adverbs
一般的 名词 动词
adjective here and there.
形容词 到处写
I work on a project, SETI.
我做的是S.E.T.I.计划
Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence?
地外文明搜索?
That is out there!
非比寻常哟!
Are you a student or something?
你是学生还是干什么的?
I'm a writer. I'm writing a book.
我是个作家 我在写一本书
I'm here doing research about how technology affects Third World cultures.
我在研究技术是如何影响第三世界文化的
I'm also looking for this guy, David Drumlin.
我同时还在找一个人:戴维·德鲁姆林
He's head of the National Science Foundation. I want an interview.
国家科学基金会的头头 我想采访他
I take it you know him?
看得出来你认识他?
You could say that.
可以这么说
I've crossed paths with him. Something like that must really chap his ass.
我跟他打过交道 他肯定不耐烦那一类事情吧
You better keep this.
收好了
Might save your life someday.
哪一天说不定救命呢
Have dinner with me tonight?
一起吃晚饭好吗?
I don't make a good research subject. I'm not quotable.
我可不值得研究 我的话无关紧要
No quotes. Scout's honor.
不是采访 不是采访 以童子军的名誉起誓
Good meal, good company.
美味佳肴 互相作个伴儿
Drumlin's coming in Tuesday.
不过 不过呢 星期二德鲁姆林要来
Now I remember why I took that desk job.
总算想起来我为什么坐办公室了
Dr. Drumlin, how are you?
德鲁姆林博士 你好
Glad you could make it.
很高兴你能来 戴维
If I'd known it took 3 planes, I might've reconsidered.
早知道得转三次飞机 我可能就改主意了
How is that new office?
新办公室怎么样?
Still settling in. They already want to give half my budget to the Pentagon.
还在适应 人家已经盘算着把我的预算分一半给五角大楼
Still waiting for E.T. To call?
爱莉 还在等外星人的电话哪?
Good to see you too!
一样很高兴见到你!
Looks like it's going to be a long night.
这个晚上可不好熬哟
Science must be accountable to the people paying for it, the taxpayers.
科学嘛 也要向我们的纳税人东家负责
We must stop wasting money on pie-in-the-sky abstractions
我们不能再把资金浪费于天上掉馅饼的空想
and spend it on practical, measurable ways
花钱要讲求实际 得到实效
to improve the lives of the people who are paying.
要让出钱的人看到生活水平的提高
Not unlike my L-band, globular clusters work.
而不是我那种L波段和球状星团的工作
You want to do away with all pure research now?
你是说 你要砍掉所有的基础研究?
What's wrong with science being practical? Even profitable?
科学讲求实际有什么不对吗?赚点钱不更好?
Nothing, as long as your motive
没什么不对 只要你的动机
is the search for truth. Which is what the pursuit of science is.
是寻求真理 这也正是科学的本来目的
That's an interesting position from a man
话从这一号人嘴里说出来真有意思
on a crusade against the evils of technology
比如这位敢于挑战技术的邪恶的
I'm not against technology, Doctor. I'm against
我不反对技术 博士 我只是反对
the men who deify it at the expense of human truth.
那些罔顾真理而崇拜技术的人
Kent, I need to have a word with you. Over here, please.
肯特 我有话跟你说 请过来
You think that hurt my chances with that interview?
看来我的采访要砸锅了 是不是?
I got my Masters in Divinity
我得过神学硕士
then left the seminary to do secular humanitarian work
后来就离开神学院从事世俗的人道主义工作
coordinating Third World churches.
帮助第三世界的教会
I couldn't live with the celibacy thing.
我过不了独身生活
You could call me a man of the cloth
你可以 呃 你可以称我为一个僧侣
without the cloth.
但从不披袈裟
You want to get out of here?
想开溜吗?
You see that large W-shaped constellation there? That's Cassiopeia.
看见那个W形状的星座了?那是仙后座
And Cassiopeia A gives off a whole lot of radio signals.
仙后座A星放出相当多的射电信号
I listen to them a lot.
我一直在听着它们呢
It's a remnant of a supernova.
它是一颗超新星的残骸
When did you know you wanted to be an astronomer?
你什么时候开始想当天文学家的?
When I was about eight years old
大概八岁
watching the sunset, I asked Dad "What's that bright star over there?"
看日落的时候 我问爸爸:"那颗亮星星是什么?"
He said that it wasn't a star. It was
他说 那其实不是恒星 它是
a whole planet called Venus
一个行星 叫金星
which should be over there soon.
很快就能看得见了 在 那边升起来
He said, "You know why they called it Venus?
他说 "你知道为什么叫金星吗?
Because they thought it was so beautiful and glowing.
因为他们认为它那么美丽 闪闪发光