But they didn't know
但他们不知道
that it's filled with
那上面全是
deadly gases and sulfuric acid rain."
毒气和硫酸雨 "
Wow, I thought, "This is it! I'm hooked!"
哇 我想啊 "就是这个 我要学!"
There are four hundred billion stars out there
那里有四千亿颗恒星
just in our galaxy alone.
这还只是在我们的银河系里
If only one out of a million of those had planets
只要百万分之一的恒星具有行星
if just one out of a million of those had life
只要其中百万分之一具有生命
and if just one out of a million of those had intelligent life
再只要其中百万分之一具有智慧生命
there would be literally millions of civilizations out there
那就有一百万个文明世界
it'd be an awful waste of space.
那就太浪费地方啦
So I was lying there, just looking at the sky.
就这样 我躺在那里 凝望天空
And then I felt something. I don't know.
然后我感觉到什么 不晓得
All I know is that I wasn't alone.
总之 我知道不再孤独
For the first time in my life I wasn't scared of nothing
生平第一次 我无所畏惧
And there's no chance that
难道不可能
you had this experience because some part of you needed to have it?
这个体验来自你的某个部分的需要?
I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, but this
我是个理智的人 只是这一次
My intellect couldn't even touch this.
我的智力显得如此渺小
I've been to Sunday school a few times.
我上过几次主日学校
I kept asking all these really annoying questions like
我 我总是问那些讨厌的问题 比如
"Where did Mrs. Cain come from?"
"凯恩夫人打哪儿来的?"
And pretty soon they asked my dad
不久 他们告诉爸爸
if he wouldn't mind keeping me home from now on.
方便的话 就此把我锁在家里
You're close to him, aren't you?
你们很亲近 是不是?
I was. He died when I was nine years old.
是的 我九岁上他就死啦
I never got to know my mother.
我从来不知道母亲什么样
That's got to be tough.
- 不容易吧 - 是
we pack a picnic tomorrow and hike up to Mount Arecibo?
明天我们上阿雷西博山野炊?
I don't think I can. I've got to work.
怕不行 我得工作
How about dinner tomorrow night? I know a great dive.
明晚一起吃饭吧?我认得一家名馆子
No, I don't think so.
不 不行
Ellie, did I miss something?
爱莉 我弄错了吗?
I told Kent that I'd be there at 10:30.
我跟肯特说过十点半到的
I'm not trying to push you.
我并不是逼你
I've wanted to look at this sector for weeks.
不 不是那样的 只是我等这个区域好几周了
and sleep in. There's food in the fridge.
接着睡 冰箱里有一大堆吃的
How can I reach you?
我怎么找你?
Just leave your number. I'll call you.
留下号码 我打电话给你
It's starting, you're going to miss it!
开始啦 你要错过的!
Dad, there's another one! Hurry up!
爸爸 又一颗!快啊!
In a minute, Sparks! I'm almost done.
等等 火花儿!我这就得了
There's another one. Come on, hurry up, Dad!
又有一颗 快点 爸爸!
I'll get the medicine.
我这就拿药去
I know it's hard to understand this now
我了解这对你来说难于理解
but we aren't always meant to know why things happen the way they do.
但是我们并非总能够理解一切事情的来由
Sometimes, we just have to accept it
很多时候 我们只能如此接受它
I should have kept medicine in the downstairs bathroom.
我该在楼下的盥洗室里存些药
Then I could've gotten to it sooner.
就能快点拿到了
this is W-9 GFO. Do you copy?
这是W-9GFO 收到吗?
Dad, this is Ellie. Come back.
爸爸 这是爱莉 回话
This is Eleanor Arroway
这是伊琳娜·阿洛维
transmitting on 14.2 megahertz
发射频率14.2兆赫
Dad, this is Ellie.
爸爸 这是爱莉
- Hi, Kent. - What are you doing up so early?
- 爱莉 - 嗨 肯特 一大早干什么来了?
we'd make a pretty good team.
咱们是一支不错的队伍
We could put together an ad hoc SETI program.
咱们可以搞一个特别S.E.T.I.计划
You know the Very Large Array in New Mexico?
你知道新墨西哥的甚大天线阵吧?
It's a dynamite place to do SETI work
用来做S.E.T.I.特棒
What are you talking about?
你说什么哪?
Drumlin pulled the plug.
德鲁姆林拆台了
It's true, you pulled the plug?
真的吗 是你拆台的吗?是你吗?
You can't see it now, but I'm doing you a favor.
现在你不明白的 可我是为你好
You're too promising a scientist to waste your gifts on this nonsense.
你这样有前途的科学家不能在蠢事上浪费天才
I don't consider what could be
我可不认为
the most important human discovery nonsense!
人类可能的最重大发现是愚蠢!
400 billion stars
四千亿颗星星--
And two probabilities. One, there's intelligent life
却只有两种可能 第一 存在智慧生命
but too far away to contact in your lifetime.
但是太远了 你一辈子都找不到
- And two! - You're making a decision
- 第二! - 你所作的决定
There's nothing but gases and carbon compounds and you're wasting your time!
除了气体和碳化物什么都没有 你在浪费时间!
In the meantime, you won't be taken seriously.
同时 你没有文章发表 大家不会看重你
Your career will be over!
你的职业生涯就此完蛋!
Hey, Kent. You were right.
哎 肯特 你说得对
Screw Drumlin. We'll raise the money ourselves. We'll go to New Mexico.
去他的德鲁姆林 我们自己找钱 我们去新墨西哥